Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bar Exam Diaries - Third Time's a Charm Edition - Day 1

I got a good night's sleep. My alarm went off at 6:30, and I got out of bed about 6:45. (I'm a bit of a snooze button addict.) I checked my email. One of my friends texted me at 7:15 to let me know that she was awake and didn't need a 7:30 wakeup call. I showered and got ready for the day. After my shower, I decided to eat breakfast. I opened up a container of yogurt and tried to eat it, but the smell was so off-putting that I couldn't do it. It made me sick to my stomach. I'm on an antibiotic because of the burn on my hand, so I'm guessing I'm in for another round of antibiotic induced nausea. Fun.

I ended up eating some of the snacks I had brought instead. So I started the day off with Pringles, Oreos, and wasabi rice crackers. Breakfast of champions. After breakfast, I headed downstairs for the test. The test center was much more organized this time around. I didn't see any chaos. I had a different proctor this time, which relieved me. I like the proctor I had the last two times, but I think I would have been embarrassed to have to face him again. (He remembered me in February. I guess there aren't too many redheads taking the bar in Oakland.) My proctor this time is a grandfatherly old man with a cheery disposition. When he was checking my ID, he said, "Looks just like you." I responded "I hope not!" and then we both laughed.



Unfortunately for the people sitting up front, there was a problem with the electrical outlets, so they all had to take the exam using battery power. I'm really glad I was in the back, because my battery wouldn't have lasted the whole time. The two people with seats assigned next to me didn't show up, and I saw several other empty seats as well. The proctor didn't allow anyone up front to move into the vacant seats, though. I thought that was silly, and I feel bad for the people who started the test off with a source of stress.

Because of the electrical issues, the morning session started about 20 minutes late. We still got our full 3 hours, though. I finished with about 15 minutes to spare. I usually finish with between 45 minutes and an hour to spare, so I'm thinking it's a good sign that I had more stuff to say this time around.

I feel pretty good about the morning session. The first essay was a civil procedure question, and it covered areas of law I'm really confident about. The second essay was a combination of community property and legal ethics. I was less sure about that question, so I decided to save it for last. The third essay was an evidence question. I'm usually pretty weak on the subject of evidence, but I think I did fine on it.

Then I went up to my hotel room for lunch. While I was in the elevator, I ran into a man who was here for a conference. He saw me carrying pens and my ID, so he asked me what test I was here for. I said the bar exam, and he wished me luck. Then I had soup for lunch and checked my email again.

After lunch, I headed downstairs for the afternoon session. I ran into a few of my friends and talked with them for a bit. The afternoon session was much less organized than the morning session, and we started about 45 minutes late. The afternoon session is a performance test, which is a set of fake cases and statutes, along with a fake case file and instructions to draft a memo. The subject matter was corporate law. I was actually kind of relieved. Corporate law is my weakest area of law because there's so much to remember. Since the performance test was on corporations, I can be comforted that I won't have to do an essay on the subject on Thursday.

I was much more confident in the morning session than the afternoon session, but I feel ok overall. After the test was over, I went back up to my hotel room, ordered room service, and checked my work email. I'm so tired.

No comments: