Last week was my sister's birthday, and we went out as a family to a hibachi grill. (The kind where the chef plays with your food at the table.) The chef wasn't as entertaining as some are, but he was a better cook than most, so the food was excellent. It was karaoke night, so Jen and I decided to sing.
Background: I was in the opera in college and I've taken years of voice lessons and I sing semi-professionally, although I sing less frequently now because of school and work demands.
There is a dearth of pop music written for sopranos, but I decided to sing Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. I was pretty bad, to be honest. (Although, I was better than most people. I had the advantage of being sober.) My timing was off, and I was apparently hard to hear, even with the microphone. I had fun anyway, and that's what counts. Jen sang Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves, and she was great. She could give Cher a run for her money.
No comments:
Post a Comment