Saturday, May 10, 2014

Review of Phoenix so far



It’s been about 5 weeks since I uprooted myself to Phoenix, 700 miles away from my friends and family. I don’t regret the decision yet. I hope I don’t end up regretting it at all, but the nice thing about our highly mobile society is that California isn’t going anywhere, so I can always move back home if I decide I hate it here.

It’s been an adjustment living so far from my support systems, but I tend to be a pretty independent person anyway, so it hasn’t been that bad. I still haven’t found a job, which is a bit stressful. It’s hard to network when I don’t know anyone, and it’s hard to get the attention of recruiters without a referral. I have a few more months before I get desperate, so I’m still restricting my job search to college faculty or lawyer jobs. If I have to dig further down in a few months, I’ll start looking at HR or paralegal work. If things get really dire, there’s always a temp agency for general office work until I can get back into my career.
Here are some general impressions about the area so far.

Housing:
My apartment is comparable in quality to the one I had in Union City. It’s smaller, but I have it all to myself. It’s 1/4 the price, so I would have to say I came out way ahead on this front. Plus, it’s actually possible to buy a home on one income here, so as soon as I get the job thing sorted out, I’m going to look into buying a house. Not a condo – a real house. I can buy a single family home with a garage and a yard for about half the price of a condo in the Bay Area.

Weather:
When I told people I was moving to Phoenix, the one thing that everyone said was “It’s hot.” Universally, that’s the impression people have of the area. (Just like if someone told me they were moving to Seattle, I would probably feel tempted to respond “It rains all the time.”) I haven’t hit the worst of it yet, but so far, I really like the weather. The hardest thing about San Francisco is the fog. It’s cold, damp, and the sun never comes out. Phoenix, on the other hand, is warm, dry, and sunny. People are fond of the saying “it’s a dry heat”, and it’s true. It really makes a difference. My first week here, I was out running errands, and several locals were complaining about the heat. I thought it felt lovely and about 85. When I checked the thermometer, it said 99. If that temperature spread holds up, then when the 115 degree heat hits this summer, it will probably only feel like 100 to me, which is very doable. 

I’m looking forward to the warm winters, too. I had to come to Phoenix last November for a conference. When I boarded the plane in San Francisco, it was 50 degrees. When I stepped off the plane in Phoenix, it was 78. Short-sleeve weather in November, sign me up!

Getting around:
Phoenix is huge. Like, totally enormous. The Phoenix metro area is physically twice the size of the entire SF Bay Area, and there’s no large body of water in the middle. (And half as many people, so it feels pretty empty here to me.)

However, it’s laid out in a really easy to navigate fashion. Because there’s no real topography to contend with, all the roads are straight, wide, and flat. They’re laid out on a grid, so I almost never have to look stuff up on a map to find it. In general, numbered streets run north/south, and named streets run east/west. All the avenues are on the west side of town, and all the streets are on the east side of town. And the addresses on the named streets line up with the numbered street/avenue. For example 7000 W. Camelback Rd. is at the corner of 70th Avenue and Camelback Road. (And 7000 E. Camelback Rd. is at the corner of 70th Street and Camelback Road.)

I have a car, which is nice. I thought I would be able to get by without one, so I was going to buy a bicycle and get a car after getting a job. My parents convinced me otherwise, and I’m glad they did. It’s so unbelievably spread out that I would be greatly inconvenienced without one. I got spoiled by the ease of public transit in San Francisco. Parking in Phoenix is great, though. Every place has a large, free parking lot. No more cramped, overpriced parking garages for me!

Drivers here are terrible, though. On the freeway, they’re really polite and easy to deal with. But as soon as you get them on a city street, it’s like driving the bumper cars at an amusement park. Stoplights are viewed as just a suggestion, the speed limit signs bear no relationship to reality, and people tailgate like crazy. It’s no wonder that car insurance is three times as expensive here.

Culture:
Phoenix metro is kind of divided into two main halves, culturally speaking. The west side (west Phoenix along with the towns of Avondale, Glendale, Peoria, Litchfield Park, Goodyear, and probably a few others I haven’t found yet) has kind of a California vibe to it, and the east side (east Phoenix along with the cities of Mesa, Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler, and probably a few others I don’t know about yet) kind of has a Utah vibe. I chose west Phoenix for that very reason. I haven’t gotten a feel for Scottsdale yet, besides rich.
For the most part, I like the culture here. The people are laid back and friendly. My neighborhood is racially and ethnically diverse, though a bit less so than in the Bay Area. Crime is low, and I feel safe, even though my neighborhood kind of has a reputation for being a not so nice area. There are farms nearby, and I even saw a herd of goats grazing by the side of the road.

I’ve been told that Arizona has a major racism problem, but I haven’t seen it yet. (That could be because of the neighborhood I live in. It might be a bigger thing in other parts of town or in other parts of the state.) I have run into a bit of sexism, but it’s less than I encountered when I lived in North Carolina, which was a terribly racist and sexist place. Honestly, though, outside maybe Sweden, anyplace is going to have more sexism than the Bay Area.

I’ve found that my enjoyment of intellectual pursuits marks me as a bit weird here.  I imagine that if I had chosen Tempe instead, that would have been different, since there’s a university there. I’ve also noticed that spas seem to be a big thing here – they’re everywhere, and people of all income levels go. I don’t get a stereotypical Los Angeles vibe, though, which is good, because I wouldn’t want to have all that pressure to look perfect all the time.

Baseball is apparently a big deal here, too. I’m not into baseball, so whatever. I’ll just have to find where the hockey fans are hiding and go meet them. (I imagine a hockey game would be a good place to start...)

Shopping/Amenities:
I can’t believe how cheap things are out here. There is sales tax on food, which really annoys me. But the savings make up for it. Gas is a good 40 cents per gallon cheaper, groceries cost about 80%, and I got an oil change today for half what I would have paid.

Due to the previously mentioned spa culture, my chiropractor is cheaper, as is the treatment for my chronic health conditions. (They don’t respond to western medicine, so I have to go the alternative treatment route.) Plus, because there are so many of them around, I don’t have to wait as long to get an appointment.

The farmers’ market that I visited last week leaves something to be desired, though, and health food is a bit harder to find. There are several farmers’ markets to choose from, so I’m going to check out a few more to see if there’s a better one available. 

On the restaurant front, I really miss sushi. I’m awash in Mexican food, which is nice, but sometimes I just want a piping hot bowl of miso soup and some avocado rolls. Maybe one of these days I’ll go exploring and see if I can find some.

No comments: