Monday, October 25, 2010

Two Lawyers Walk Into a Bar...

The bar has been wreaking havoc on my life this week. (The association for lawyers, not the local adult beverage establishment.)

Saturday night, I had my first bar exam dream. Well, the dream wasn't really about the exam itself. It was about the aftermath. I had a dream that I failed the exam. I was one point short of a passing score. At least I didn't dream that I forgot about the test or that I couldn't remember what a contract was.

I started working on my moral character application today. In addition to listing every job I've had and every place I've lived since I was 18 years old, I have to submit the names of five 'responsible and reputable individuals' who know me well and who can vouch for my good moral character. At least one of them must be a member of the State Bar of California. I'm sure there's a lawyer joke in there somewhere.

The moral character application has to be submitted online. I created an online account with the bar back in 2005 when I started law school. (All law students are required to.) Well, since it was 5 years ago, I have since forgotten my password. I clicked on the 'forgot password' button, hoping that it would e-mail me my password. Nope. It showed my security question and asked for an answer. Circa 2005, I was paranoid about security questions, so I would always just type gibberish to make it impossible for hackers to retrieve my password. Unfortunately, it's now also impossible for me to retrieve my password. I tried typing in random letters hoping that I would be able to recreate the exact string of gibberish I did 5 years ago, but no such luck. The website said to contact customer service, but there was no contact number for customer service. I hope I have enough receptionist good karma left over so that I can get to the customer service department tomorrow. (Somehow, I think trying to hack into my account would put a damper on the whole moral character thing, so I'm at the mercy of customer service.)

Fun.

No comments: