I read zillions of resumes every day. Ones that make it past me go to the hiring manager for further review. Most of the time, each application is pretty similar to the one before. Every now and then, though, there's one that stands out. Today I had an application that stood out in a bad way.
All employment applications come through our company website. There's a form to fill out with a bunch of questions with yes/no radio buttons. For example: Have you ever applied to work for [company] before? Do you have a top-secret security clearance? etc. One of the questions is "Do you authorize [company] to verify your prior education and employment?" There are also a few fields that allow for text answers. One of those is "Please list your last five years of employment. Complete even if attaching a resume."
Well, today's applicant ticked me off from the very first line. (Hiring tip: Don't annoy the person reading your resume.) In response to the prior employment question, this person said, "See resume." That's annoying but fairly common. I kept reading. Anyway, the applicant did not authorize us to verify prior employment and education. That throws up a huge red flag for me. I kept reading anyway. (Usually I wouldn't.) At the end of the application is an open field where the applicant can input a cover letter or any other relevant information. (This is separate from the resume field.)
Most applicants leave the cover letter field blank. I'm cool with that because, honestly, I'm hiring engineers. I don't care about their cover letters. I never read them, and the hiring managers never see them. (My apologies to anyone who spends hours making perfect cover letters, but it's the honest truth. Other industries may be different.)
There was something in the cover letter field, and by this point, I was extremely curious to see what it said. Well, the applicant wrote, "You need larger fields if you expect serious responses to your questions. You ask for too much personal information and your questions are inappropriate." Yes, how dare I ask what degree you have, how much work experience you have, and whether or not you've applied previously?
The hiring manager never saw the resume.
1 comment:
Wow...the strange thing is that your company asks for the same personal information as pretty much every company out there. I know that Gerrit fills out that kind of information all the time. I'm hoping that this individual is on their first few applications and isn't so rude to everyone.
Post a Comment