Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Physicists at Fed Ex

Albert Einstein taught us that matter and energy are the same thing. E=mc^2 and all of that. Well, it seems that the good folks at Fed Ex have taken it to heart.

I was preparing a shipment of marketing materials to go to our India office. In order to get shipments through customs, I have to fill out a declaration form detailing exactly what is in the package. There's a box for the description of what it is, i.e. "Widgets" or something like that. Then there's a box to type in the quantity. Then there's a drop-down menu to select the unit. It has normal choices such as "dozen", "pieces", "cubic inches", etc.

As I scrolled down, I saw some that made me laugh. "Kilowatt-hours" and "British Thermal Units" were options I could pick. Yes, I'm going to mail 47 BTUs to India. Naturally, it will fit nicely in my cardboard box.

1 comment:

Tamaran said...

That is actually funny. If you get time, could you send some energy my way?