Monday, September 29, 2008

My Other Job Involves Time Travel...

Ok, so I'm involved in a bit of a juggling act right now. I have a full-time weekend job (one 34 hour shift beginning on Friday nights) that pays terribly but gives me medical and dental benefits and the priceless benefit of a steady, predictable paycheck. We'll call this Job A.

I also work for a temp agency during the week, your standard 8-5. Well, actually, it's more like 7:30-4:30 because I'm also going to night school. Anyway, I rarely know more than a few days in advance (and sometimes only a few hours in advance), where or if I'll be working on any given day. The pay is better, but it's sporadic, unpredictable, and lacks benefits. We'll call this Job B. Job A knows about Job B, but I usually try to keep Job B from knowing about Job A.

This morning, I got an e-mail from my boss at Job A asking me about my availability for a staff meeting. Our staff is diffused, and we only really meet monthly. All other communication is written. Meetings are usually held on weekday evenings, but can be held at any mutually convenient time. I'm in class on weekday evenings, but I was able to propose an evening when I happen not to have class due to fall break. Anyway, I was explaining why I couldn't commit to a daytime meeting, and apparently I had too much else on my mind while I was writing this. Here's the direct quote:
"I don't have classes the evenings of [redacted], so either of those evenings would work. I can't really commit to daytimes right now because I never know when/where I'll be on any given day."

Oops. Lesson of the day: proofread.

No comments: